Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

Stress of losing vs winning

Started by HunchBacShrimp, June 27, 2015, 03:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8player

Quote from: HunchBacShrimp on August 08, 2015, 06:25:18 AM
Well, my exit strategy of hitting my win goal and continuing to bet didn't work well tonight. 4 times I hit 20u and 4 times I bet again and lost. I kept the pressure up to not to settle for anything less than 20u. Probably not the wisest thing to do. Confidence was high because my biggest draw down was 3u. Lost my first bet of 3u, and from there I stayed ahead the whole time. I did get back down to even several times, but I didn't let it get to me.

Hmmm....I just wrote a post yesterday in another thread that relates well with this subject of "walking" both wins and losses.  I think it'd be wise for you to find and read it, HBS.  Couldn't hurt.

It can become a very slippery slope whenever we are so stubborn regarding our win- and loss-goals.  I can truly relate when you said you had those 20 units, and, dammit, you weren't about to leave there without them.  Oh my Goodness....the money it's cost me, at times, when all I wanted was that one more unit.  Tread lightly, HBS.

And why shouldn't you "tread lightly" there, HBS?  After all, you're doing a great job, and you've been winning pretty well  lately.  So what's the difference if you won 20 u or 16 u or 10 u or 2 u?  A win is a win, learn to accept it and be pleased with it.  And, my friend, that's ESPECIALLY true in sessions like that last one, where you had virtually no drawdown and was a rather easy one....that's when you need to be extra aware of the impending negative variance, and those are sessions where you hit your win goal and GO!  Much better that than to await the dark side of variance, no?

You're playing great, HBS.  Keep up the good work.  And "walk those wins".....both often and EARLY.  Better early than TOO LATE.

Stay well.

HunchBacShrimp

GR8,

Yeah, I read it either before or after my last trip. You are absolutely right about knowing when to walk. I knew I was pushing it. Pretty much one of the top 'no nos'. I could have left after 30min with 15u. Could have left several, several times with 17 to 19 units. I was really playing with fire there.

I recently sat next to a bettor that was doing very well. Two stacks of reds and 1.5 stacks of green. They turned to the bettor next to them and said " I'm leaving as soon as I get this" and indicated two equal stacks of greens. At that moment, I thought to myself, "uh oh, famous last words". They started betting a bit aggressively, eager to win. Didn't work out. I was glad to see them leave with still 1/2 of one stack of greens left. I'm pretty sure they were still up for the evening. I take no joy in anyone's distress, glad I didn't witness a full fledged bust out.

Glad I didn't do it to myself either. I knew better.

HBS