Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

A question about Excel 2010

Started by Chrisbis, August 02, 2013, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisbis

This question is a copy of a post I have made today, over at:- http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forum.php

it's a great place to get Windows Excel/Word/Powerpoint questions and queries answered, and usually very quick.
Some very clever people look in there, and take the task to heart!

""Hi all.
Why is it not possible to hide a Column/Columns that contain only percentages in them, if the % are used to draw a graph?I have such a sheet, with % in two columns, and if I use the "Hide" format, they stop the graph from performing.

The best I have been able to do, is to re-size the column down to a very small width, but still the column can be seen, and if I copy/paste data into my sheet, for analysis, and graph plotting, a small dot (the cells filling up) can be seen where the two columns are, as they are not completely hidden!
Any answers anyone?
(Other than moving the columns to another part of the sheet, or....maybe onto another sheet?)

I'm stumped!Chris...............(stumped!!)""

Chrisbis

I just found my answer in the internet, it's a little place I know, a hole in the wall if you will,
and you just approach it, and ask a question nicely......it usually has the correct answers!!

Solution
Open the workbook and click a chart whose hidden data and empty cells you want to display.

• Click Design > Edit Data Source > Hidden and Empty Cells.

• Select 'Show data in hidden rows and columns'.

• From 'Show empty cells as', select an appropriate option then click OK.

• Details
By default in Excel, the hidden data in rows and columns is not displayed in a chart. Empty cells are displayed as gaps. Excel allows you to display the hidden data and change the way the empty cells are displayed. Rather than displaying the empty cells as gaps, you can display them as zero values or you can span the gaps with a line.

Info from
http://superuser.com/questions/207845/excel-2010-can-i-hide-columns-without-excluding-the-data-from-a-graph