Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

LAYING TO LOSE

Started by esoito, December 21, 2012, 06:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoito

For those to whom laying is a new phenomenon:

Here's a link to explain how lay betting works on Betfair:

http://betting.betfair.com/education/the-site/what-is-lay-betting-2-300111.html

It gives a useful overview of what it's all about.

Laying the favourite is quite popular (after some suitable filtering, of course) and Jon Burgess has written a very popular, and widely-acclaimed  ebook about how to apply suitable filters:

http://www.false-favourites.co.uk/

Important Principle

The lower the price of the horse (or event)  you lay,  then the lower your liability if it wins.

Example:

Lay a horse for a fiver  at 2.4 and it wins.  The winner receives from Betfair your fiver PLUS his/her winnings which is deducted from your BF account.

Lay a horse for a fiver at 92.4... Well, you DON'T...EVER!! Imagine how much your account is debited if it wins. Too risky just to make a fiver from the other person who is the backer.

Alternative To Laying

For those blocked from Betfair or other betting exchanges then backing all runners except the favourite is an alternative method.

Dutching software makes the necessary calculations so that whichever horse succeeds the winnings recover the total stake AND delivers the profit you specify.

Of course, if the favourite wins you lose the lot!!  So pick a false favourite carefully.

Search online for free and pay-for dutching  software options.

But if anyone wants to write their own dutching software say so, and then I'll post the formulae in this thread, otherwise I won't clutter it with unwanted info.

VLS

Thanks for the informative post. It'a appreciated  :nod:
Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

peleus

Sorry to bump this up but I was looking for a video tutorial about them but unlucky so far. Can someone please post a link?

esoito

Quote from: peleus on October 19, 2014, 03:44:34 PM
Sorry to bump this up but I was looking for a video tutorial about them but...]

To clarify:  what does the word 'them' specifically refer to?

Once I (or others) know that we might be able to help.