Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

Re: RunRev discussion and more

Started by esoito, December 14, 2012, 04:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoito

Topic split from: Code experiments and function development for proof of concepts

Whereas I code in JustBASIC and VB6 I don't recognize  this code.

Which language do you use?

VLS

Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

Gizmotron

Although I've built applications in both Visual Basic and RealBasic for Mac I really liked Director and shockwave. I chalanged the owners of RunRev  to give me a full top level license if I delivered the Blowfish algorithm in native Transcript. I believe they call it liveCode now. It's easy to deploy across many platforms. That top license allowed me a workspace on many native platforms with the same license. I was able to write cross platform code that senses the platform it was on and performed platform specific tasks. This is a true write once and deploy anywhere development tool. Not like write once debug everywhere. It's amazingly easy to develop sophisticated software that compiles as opposed to enterpit as some development tools do.
"...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO BREAK THE LAW OF AVERAGES." 

VLS

Quote from: Gizmotron on December 14, 2012, 04:42:11 AM
Although I've built applications in both Visual Basic and RealBasic for Mac I really liked Director and shockwave. I chalanged the owners of RunRev  to give me a full top level license if I delivered the Blowfish algorithm in native Transcript. I believe they call it liveCode now. It's easy to deploy across many platforms. That top license allowed me a workspace on many native platforms with the same license. I was able to write cross platform code that senses the platform it was on and performed platform specific tasks. This is a true write once and deploy anywhere development tool. Not like write once debug everywhere. It's amazingly easy to develop sophisticated software that compiles as opposed to enterpit as some development tools do.
Fascinating!

The main benefit of "Write once, debug everywhere" being squeezing the platform at hand.

I do agree if you don't need the power, there's no need for the advanced development tools.

Cross-platform rocks  :nod:
-- Victor

KingsRoulette

A bot for testing and playing your stuff?
Nothing can perfectly beat a random session but luck. If someone claims perfection in every session, he is either a fool himself or think all to be fools.

Gizmotron

Victor, it was powerful enough to create a true cross-platform original and unique browser for the internet. It even had cross platform files that worked on Windows and Mac 10 operating systems. You could download an entire website, including embedded pictures, in a single file. You could download other information in the same markup language and append it to an already open website. The import process would automatically index the added pages. The user could create their own text gathering system by the use of key words or phrases associated with points of interest found in the pages of the website. Once downloaded the website can be saved as a desktop file and would run off-line. I power tested it by loading the new and old testament as a single file. It could find a single word in about two seconds. It would bring it back and create a link to the page it was on as well as several words before and after for context. The user input was even faster, and with complete reference.  I checked several languages. Only C+ was faster. RunRev blew away Visual Basic and RealBasic.

VLS

Quote from: Gizmotron on December 14, 2012, 05:08:45 AM
Victor, it was powerful enough to create a true cross-platform original and unique browser for the internet. It even had cross platform files that worked on Windows and Mac 10 operating systems. You could download an entire website, including embedded pictures, in a single file. You could download other information in the same markup language and append it to an already open website. The import process would automatically index the added pages. The user could create their own text gathering system by the use of key words or phrases associated with points of interest found in the pages of the website. Once downloaded the website can be saved as a desktop file and would run off-line. I power tested it by loading the new and old testament as a single file. It could find a single word in about two seconds. It would bring it back and create a link to the page it was on as well as several words before and after for context. The user input was even faster, and with complete reference.  I checked several languages. Only C+ was faster. RunRev blew away Visual Basic and RealBasic.
Wowie, that sure's a strong one there Mark! [attachimg=1]

Kudos to the makers of such a powerful, versatile suite :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
-- Victor

Gizmotron

Victor, or anyone, even though I dabbled with C & C+ for a while I couldn't get past the ease of developing on this language. I once begged RunRev to add a feature. I asked them to add the higher speed parallel string parser that I was using. That's how I found out that C+ was just a little faster. Here's my question. They say that the compiled applications developed with RunRev are for the most part C & C+. I know that they have simplified making the GUI elements in a simple drag and drop system. Yet there are thousands of programming functions and attributes that still make it powerful enough for more sophisticated tasks. How are they delivering Transcript (LiveCode) in C & C+ stand alone applications? Anyone?

Gizmotron

Gizmotron

Quote from: KingsRoulette on December 14, 2012, 04:54:48 AM
A bot for testing and playing your stuff?

"Bot" can be used as a generic term or it can be specific. I'm adding the option of having the computer make the bet selection for the next spin. So the user can make the bet selections, or the charting program can make the selection before the next spin is entered into the spin entry space. In either case you have bet selection telemetry for each spin. Don't you think that the millionaires will like that? They would just click on a button to get the smartest next bet selection.

VLS

Quote from: Gizmotron on December 14, 2012, 12:33:49 PM
How are they delivering Transcript (LiveCode) in C & C+ stand alone applications? Anyone?
Hello dear Mark, it seems source-to-source translation, which is arguably more efficient than trying to develop a compiler for each platform in pure assembler from scratch (i.e. a la PureBasic*).

So, it seems it is:

RunRev ==> C/C++ ==> Compilation ==> One native binary per platform.

Other projects like BCX (Basic to C Converter):

http://bcx-basic.sourceforge.net/

and Vala:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vala_(programming_language)

Use this approach.

It's a good one worth adopting so each development group in the chain can focus in one task. You get "low-level" developers creating compilers and "high level" developers creating translators.

Personally, I'm all-in for translators too.

*: Of course if you are fanatic enough to develop your own ASM then that's truly great since you are in control of the whole chain, so Kudos to the PureBasic team :thumbsup:
-- Victor

Gizmotron

Victor, thanks for the answer. Hmm, PureBasic - I should give that one a look. You never know where a true speed demon might pop up. I have no need for another parallel numerical linear parser. You can rip the heck out of an XML document if you forget about structuring it first with a traditional hierarchy based parser.

KingsRoulette

QuoteDon't you think that the millionaires will like that? They would just click on a button to get the smartest next bet selection.

Even the poorest would like to win more and lose less, if it is possible, one way or another. If you can do that, you can be compared with Edgar Thorpe.
Nothing can perfectly beat a random session but luck. If someone claims perfection in every session, he is either a fool himself or think all to be fools.

VLS

Quote from: Gizmotron on December 14, 2012, 03:00:24 PM
Victor, thanks for the answer.
My pleasure.

They actually hint the usage of resulting source code on their cross-platform deployment page:

QuoteNote that to deploy to iOS devices you will need to do the final build of your app on a Mac.

Quote from: Gizmotron on December 14, 2012, 03:00:24 PM
Hmm, PureBasic - I should give that one a look.
www.PureBasic.com

Our fellow member Bayes uses it.

He is the best-suited to express his opinions regarding PureBasic. It does sound great "on paper" since they actually optimize their own assembler output.
-- Victor

Gizmotron

Quote from: KingsRoulette on December 14, 2012, 04:11:03 PM
               Even the poorest would like to win more and lose less, if it is possible, one way or another. If you can do that, you can be compared with Edgar Thorpe.

Edward Thorpe, now that would be a prize. He settled for a groovy weekend and his peers thinking him slightly off a little.

Not wishing to state the obvious, but haven't you heard? "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." You can even get elected with that one.