Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Started by Bayes, November 19, 2012, 09:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayes

The Sad Passing of Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who  has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since   his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a   student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became  pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his   wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Dino246

Great Post Bayes !!!!!!!

Agree 100% with every word.

You could also add the jailed SAS soldier Sgt Danny Nightingale's OBSURED 18 month sentance.

Just reading his life story to date puts the people who put him away TO SHAME.

I'd vote for you.

All the very best.

Dino.

Atlantis

:P

Ah... methinks there is some seeds of truth contained in the aforementioned passages.
Wise words worthy of contemplation indeed...
Commonsense - forget him at your peril!
A.

Trebor

It's a shame that there is no way of incorporating "The wisdom of Solomon" in to all laws.

They are formulated with the best of intentions I'm sure, but human greed and stupidity subverts them.

Trebor

TwoCatSam

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Not true in Oklahoma.  We have a "Make my Day" law that states if someone breaks into your home, you can kill them.  No questions asked.  They don't have to be armed.

Yes, burglars are killed here.  My only remorse?  They can't strip the hearts, lungs and kidneys out of them fast enough to save someone with common sense.

Sam

Hey, what about that sentence?  Haven't heard a word.
If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where dogs go.   ...Will Rogers

Dino246

Hi TCS.

Latest on that sentence is that the soldier's wife and comrades have sent an open letter to the Prime Minister to overturn the court marshal,also the case is to be DEBATED...would you believe in Parliament this Tuesday.

SO....their gonna have a debate on whether COMMONSENSE will prevail or not.

I reckon old Cromwell will be spinning in his grave during Tuesday's events.

Bayes

Something that happened a couple of years ago here in the UK - a prime example of political correctness gone mad.  If a stand-up comedian included this in his routine it would probably get a big laugh.

Thankfully, there are signs that sanity is returning, slowly. In a recent case (again in the UK) a Christian man who posted a polite comment on Facebook regarding his views on gay marriage was demoted and had his salary cut by 40% because the company he worked for decided it was homophobic. He took them to court and the judge decided in his favour, saying that "offence is the necessary price of free speech".  :applause:

TwoCatSam

I hope he got a million in punitive damages!
If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where dogs go.   ...Will Rogers

Gizmotron

Here's a common story. Somebody comes on the forum and claims that a three step Martingale is the defacto Holy Grail. This person clutters up the forum for a full year or two, until finally giving up on it.
"...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO BREAK THE LAW OF AVERAGES." 

subby

Right we all know you don't like JL, or his methods, but less of the discreet sniping please Giz.... :no:
My mother said if you haven't got anything good to say about someone then don't say anything at all.
Cheers

Subby

Gizmotron

Quote from: subby on November 19, 2012, 08:24:33 PM
Right we all know you don't like JL, or his methods, but less of the discreet sniping please Giz.... :no:
My mother said if you haven't got anything good to say about someone then don't say anything at all.

Stop whining. We, those it us that have seen this time and time again, know that you guys are going to get others believing your fantasy. I don't care if you blow your own money. I don't want to hear about some desperate individual following off the cliff. It's not personal. You are rife with finding meaning where there isn't any. If I'm an expert at anything around here then it's dealing with baloney festivals.

Moderator's warning

You're treading a fine line Gizmotron.  I suggest you heed Subby's excellent advice.

There is room here for ALL viewpoints and nobody should have to put up with this sort of response from you.

There are polite and respectful  ways of expressing disagreement. Sadly, your post above  is not one of them..

In that way we can all continue to rub along in the peace and harmony that have characterised this forum thus far.

"...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO BREAK THE LAW OF AVERAGES."