Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

YOU THINK YOUR GMAIL IS PRIVATE? I've got (bad) news for you...

Started by esoito, August 29, 2013, 04:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bayes

I've always assumed that emails through gmail won't be completely private (and the same for any other free email provider like hotmail). They scan for keywords in order to target ads, it's part of their business model and is in the T&C. Ever noticed how ads relevant to the content of an email can suddenly appear? a little creepy, but that's how google makes money. Even with a paid provider there's no guarantee that your emails aren't being read, unless you have your own encryption scheme which the recipient has the key to, and how many can be bothered with that?

The way I see it, email isn't like sending a letter, it's more like a postcard - it could be potentially read by the postman en route to your address.

esoito

Quote from: Bayes on August 29, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
The way I see it, email isn't like sending a letter, it's more like a postcard - it could be potentially read by the postman en route to your address.

That's good way of looking at it.  :thumbsup:

Hadn't thought of it like that before!

malcop

I've been in the Computer Industry for over 30 years now, and know first hand when administrating email systems they are not private.

I agree the best way to think of it when you send an email is you're sending a post card.

But this goes further than just email, even private chat is not as private as you would like to think it is. 

The administrators for the system you are using can see that also!

I know this and just accept it, but if I wanted to make sure my communications are strictly private will never use any form of electronic communication.