Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

Self-moderation dialogues

Started by VLS, February 22, 2013, 07:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLS

First, allow me to express self-moderation is a fascinating model to me. This has nothing to do with the quality of moderation here; yet towards my views a self-regulated community goes a long way.
In my book the most successful community is the one which can moderate itself.

If a lot of people flag a post it's likely because it is worthy of flagging.

We're already heading towards a distributed moderation model by lending posters control over their threads. Yet I do believe there are still several features worth implementing:

- The ability for a user to restrict who can post on his topics. A member-maintained exclusion list.

- The ability for a member to not only remove offending posts from his topics, but also to issue a warn to the offender.

Another curious feature I want to code is the "Martingale self-muting". Allow me to explain.

Members would help maintain a list of bad words. From the classic 4-letter words towards every bad-meaning euphemism which comes into view.

The forum software would keep an increasing count risen with each inappropriate posting attempt. When a post containing a bad word is submitted, the forum software automatically mutes the user, doubling the number of days on each hit:

1 day, 2 days, 4 days, 8 days...

Those who insist in using crude language keep muting themselves for longer and longer periods on each try.

The offending post itself doesn't even see the light and the member's muting is directly due to himself because of his own actions.

The beauty is the fact members who do not recur to bad language aren't affected at all, they can enjoy in full; yet the potty-mouths exclude themselves from the discussion, increasing their exclusion time on each attempt as per their choice, with immediate automated enforcing.

The goal of the model is to make our place heavenly for those posters who want to elaborate at length, care to keep a respectful language and are good in general; while at the same time giving hell to those who want to turn the forum into a boiler... with minimal manpower required  :thumbsup:
Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

VLS

I see the feasibility of technical solutions to distributing and enhancing moderation.

If we can run an efficient ship where every user basically gets a mini-forum with his thread, we move one step ahead to not requiring a vigilant group to enforce good behavior.

It would be the best win from any board ever  :applause:
Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

Albalaha

Excellent thinking. Please execute these things as early as possible.
Email: earnsumit@gmail.com - Visit my blog: http://albalaha.lefora.com
Can mentor a real, regular and serious player