Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

The Challenges of English !!

Started by MarignyGrilleau, January 05, 2013, 01:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarignyGrilleau

Quote from: sqzbox on January 05, 2013, 01:08:16 AM
MG - please learn the difference between "lose"and loose"- <big grin here!!> 

It was a typo. English is my fourth language, i am sorry  :-[ . Error corrected.

esoito

@MG

É OK. Você fez bem.  Seu Inglês é muito melhor do que o meu Português !!

@sqzbox

Although a practising, part-time freelance journalist, and a qualified teacher-of-English-to-migrants in another life, I tend to ignore typos such as lose/loose on this forum for one simple reason.

It's this:    There are members here from many countries. English is not their first language. So they need encouragement and support..

Frankly, they all have my utmost admiration for having the courage to post in an English-speaking forum.

As we both know, English is a cow of a language to speak, let alone write. Consider been/bean...different pronunciations of trough/through/bough...and so on ad nauseum.

So I have to say loose spelling is the least of my worries as a moderator...!! LOL

But I do try to remind folks there's spell checker, even if it's not always easy for them to decide which is the correct option!!

TwoCatSam

Reminds me of a book by Dr. Seuss:  The Tough Coughs as he Ploughs the Dough.  That is pronounced:  The Tuff Cuffs as he Pluffs the Duff.

Love that Seuss!

Sam
If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where dogs go.   ...Will Rogers

Albalaha

Yeah, even English is written and pronounced differently at different places.
UK: colour
USA:color
             If we talk of UK English standards, even George Bush could not speak correct English.

George Bush Speech Mistakes
Email: earnsumit@gmail.com - Visit my blog: http://albalaha.lefora.com
Can mentor a real, regular and serious player

sqzbox

I was just having a little fun - hope everybody understands that - as I do realize that English is not everybody's first language - but fourth MG?  Damn!  I'm impressed.  Of course we overlook those little errors Esoito and I am certainly no angel myself - I wrestle with the apostrophe on a daily basis! As for  Bush Jr., well, what can I say? No shining example that one! Let the record speak for itself. But I will always use proper English spelling - and be willing to fight the damn spell checkers to the death to achieve it!  Can't get over the arrogance of the American literati just changing perfectly proper spelling to suit their own inadequacies, and then incorporating it into their dictionaries - seems a little self-supporting don't you think?.  Ha!  - now that's bound to upset  somebody!
:footinmouth:

Ralph

If anybody has problem with my English, I use to PM them and explain everthing in Swedish.
They then may understand that my third language is far better than theire Swedish.

I seldom use the spellchecker here as the security system disagree. And then I use a spell checker it can be even worse.

I intend to write "This metod is boty" meaning I could make a script. The spellchecker advice two  o:s.

Trebor

Ralph,

I don't have a problem understanding your posts. There are many native born English speakers with an inferior standard of English.

@sqzbox

In defence of our American friends, most of the spelling differences originate in the 18th and 19th centuries when standardised spelling was only just getting going.  In a way all it means is that there is still not a completely standarized (even in the OED) spelling system, but generally we all understand each other.

It's a living language, let it live.

Trebor

MarignyGrilleau

That's what happens with portuguese. In Brazil they speak portuguese too, but in a different manner. In the last few years we have been struggling against a treaty to unify the language. >:D

Ralph

我把在中国的经验教训,在1972年,几乎没有事先规划,你应该有

Trebor

It's never been said better   :)

Is that your second language Ralph?

VLS

哇。拉尔夫,你是一箱惊喜!你在中国很长时间吗?

学习很好的一课。
Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

sqzbox

Ha!  So we DO have a sense of humour - great stuff guys!  I am absolutely hopeless with other languages.  I tried to learn French but couldn't make it stick.  I am seriously impressed by people who are multi-lingual - it is a talent I just do not have. 

Thanks for splitting this off from the other thread Vic - I assume it was you.

VLS

Quote from: sqzbox on January 06, 2013, 01:24:32 AM
Thanks for splitting this off from the other thread [...]

It was a fellow moderator!
Would the real thread splitter please stand up?! please stand up... please stand up :D
Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor