Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

Handicaps

Started by Priyanka, August 15, 2013, 09:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Priyanka

What are they? Trying to understand, but seems very difficult to get hold of a simple explanation. Can someone help?

BrenoGarcia

Quote from: Priyanka on August 15, 2013, 09:45:02 AM
What are they? Trying to understand, but seems very difficult to get hold of a simple explanation. Can someone help?

Do not go down that road...

Try to learn about trading bets. It's the same idea of ​​investing in stocks, only in this case, in sports actions.

:thumbsup:

Dragoner

Quote from: BrenoGarcia on August 15, 2013, 11:38:10 AM

Do not go down that road...

Try to learn about trading bets. It's the same idea of ​​investing in stocks, only in this case, in sports actions.

I disagree.
Trading is neither better nor worse than simple betting. It is just different. Someone prefers it, others don't.
And why couldn't we trade in the handicap market?

Handicap betting is where we give an advantage to one team and a disadvantage to the other.
You add the number to the final score and that modified result is used to evaluate whether you win or not.
For example you bet on a team with -1.5 handicap. Your team wins 1-0, you still lose, because with the modifier your team lost. Your team has to win by at least 2 goals for you to win.

The .5 handicap is the easiest to evaluate, because there is no possibility of draw. If you have whole numbers, then the draw gives your stake back. For example if you bet on a team with -1 handicap and the team wins 1-0, your bet is evaluated as draw, and you get your stake back.

There are even more options in between these. It is either shown as "1/4";"3/4", or ".25";".75". These are essentially 2 bets in one. If you bet on a team with -1.25, that means half of the money is on -1, the other half is on -1.5. Some places show these as "-1 & -1.5".

In my examples you see negative numbers, that means our team gets a disadvantage. If you get a positive number that gives your team an advantage. For example you bet on a team with +1.5 and your team loses 0-1, your bet still wins. The weaker teams get the advantage the stronger the disadvantage.

Drazen

Here you have nice tables for better handicaps understanding.

http://www.valuepunter.com/asianhandicap-table.htm

Cheers

Drazen

Common sense has become so rare it should be classified as a superpower.

BrenoGarcia

Quote from: Dragoner on August 20, 2013, 01:12:21 PM
I disagree.
Trading is neither better nor worse than simple betting. It is just different. Someone prefers it, others don't.
And why couldn't we trade in the handicap market?

Handicap betting is where we give an advantage to one team and a disadvantage to the other.
You add the number to the final score and that modified result is used to evaluate whether you win or not.
For example you bet on a team with -1.5 handicap. Your team wins 1-0, you still lose, because with the modifier your team lost. Your team has to win by at least 2 goals for you to win.

The .5 handicap is the easiest to evaluate, because there is no possibility of draw. If you have whole numbers, then the draw gives your stake back. For example if you bet on a team with -1 handicap and the team wins 1-0, your bet is evaluated as draw, and you get your stake back.

There are even more options in between these. It is either shown as "1/4";"3/4", or ".25";".75". These are essentially 2 bets in one. If you bet on a team with -1.25, that means half of the money is on -1, the other half is on -1.5. Some places show these as "-1 & -1.5".

In my examples you see negative numbers, that means our team gets a disadvantage. If you get a positive number that gives your team an advantage. For example you bet on a team with +1.5 and your team loses 0-1, your bet still wins. The weaker teams get the advantage the stronger the disadvantage.

It is a matter of like or dislike. I do not like handicap, I prefer trading is much easier and profitable for me.

Priyanka

Quote from: Drazen on August 20, 2013, 06:19:31 PM
Here you have nice tables for better handicaps understanding.

http://www.valuepunter.com/asianhandicap-table.htm

Cheers

Drazen
Thanks Drazen. Very useful link

esoito

As for thoroughbred horse racing, the handicapper decides the weight to be carried by each horse, taking into account its past performance and many other variables.

In a perfect world the handicapper would achieve perfection so all the horses crossed the line together because they all had an equal chance of winning!!

But in our world...

[As an aside:  often the topweight (usually horse number 1) is capable of carrying more weight than the handicapper allocates without its performance suffering to any great extent.]