Our members are dedicated to PASSION and PURPOSE without drama!

Topic starters are moderators of their own topics

Started by VLS, November 20, 2012, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bally6354

Quote from: Ophis on November 21, 2012, 04:32:00 PM
maybe instead of full moderation control give topic starters new option like:
"Mark as Offtopic" or something similar.

Then selected post would be automatically edited to fit into some sort of folding function
like [reveal][/reveal] from rouletteforum[dot]com.

This way topic starters could "CLEAN" their topics while maintaining full transparency off the forum.

That's a good idea if it can be implemented and is then fair to everyone. I would vote for that option.
Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine.

malcop

but YouTube is not a site where people discuss ideas.

VLS

Email/Paypal: betselectiongmail.com
-- Victor

Albalaha

QuoteAlbahalaYour attitude sucks!!  If I were a deleter, you'd have darn few posts on this forum.   But I believe you should have your say.  If you want to be a jerk, have at it.  Others may not be so forgiving and you may not be heard of much in the future.  And that's the pretty side of the pancake.Sam
Email: earnsumit@gmail.com - Visit my blog: http://albalaha.lefora.com
Can mentor a real, regular and serious player

VLS

Guys, I suggest we have a time out to chill-out and discuss this later, when we are more calmed and can see things in a clearer light and heart.

We all say and make things that we reconsider later. Let's step a bit to reconsider them first at this time.
-- Victor

Ralph

Is a difficult issue, free to speak yes! if it is wrong Yes" but all  this   males, who can not take any critics, and instantly feel offended, is something we here can buy a book about.

We live in a world there some males are frustrated. We live in a word of change. The new order is from east

1. Shangahai  2, Mumbay  3.Goodbye) 4. Bad Guy

At my age I have got the best part (according to my location) than any in history and that's will be valid until I pass off!

Bayes

I can see the points on both sides, but Sam makes a good case!

I think he's right - trolls should be managed by the moderators, and if the topic starter wants the thread "cleaned up" they can always request it.

The feature seems to have been rarely used on the other forum, not sure whether that's because members aren't aware they have the power or that they choose not to use it.

wannawin

Freedom of speech should not be abused.

Unfortunately there is a global trend for freedom of expression to be constantly abused. I recommend caution.

Forums where they allow everything that can be written all quickly degenerate. Insults are not to be protected by freedom. It is my humble opinion.
say things directly to show respect for other people's time. Walter.

spike

Quote from: VLS on November 21, 2012, 03:51:18 PM
Should we be having a poll on this?

Absolutely. Self moderated threads never work. I would
never want to tell someone I don't like what they said
and delete it. Completely kills the point of discussion.

subby

Quote from: Bayes on November 21, 2012, 05:30:41 PM
I can see the points on both sides, but Sam makes a good case!

I think he's right - trolls should be managed by the moderators, and if the topic starter wants the thread "cleaned up" they can always request it.

The feature seems to have been rarely used on the other forum, not sure whether that's because members aren't aware they have the power or that they choose not to use it.

That's prettuy much my thinking on the subject :)

Let moderators do what mods have done on forums for the last 20 years....moderate and clean up and help along :)
Cheers

Subby

VLS

QuoteI would like to at least have my ideas back as i can never put it twice the same way.

This can be arranged. The forum has a recycle bin for deleted posts.

I'll flex my admin muscle to work and set it up so members can see their own removed posts.

When? "In a few days". I'm afraid I can't put an exact date, but rest assured your topics are there.

-- Victor

VLS

This was posted at the moderator's lounge when talking this over.

In short: the benefits of keeping the feature outweigh the bad aspects. By far.

I talk from past experiences: how frustrating it is for a member to see his thread gone to sh1tters (as per whatever standard he might consider it) and NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING.

The only stand against a bad post on the regular forums is to make ANOTHER post and things can and regularly go "doo doo" well into mudslinging before any action is taken. Original poster can get a warning by firing back, so basically what is expected from him is to keep quiet, take the beating and patiently wait.

THIS DRIVES QUALITY POSTERS AWAY.

Regarding freedom of speech, there is nothing taking away the ability to post anyone's point of view in the forum, it is only about the "WHERE" a member can post it. Each member has his own space under this model, each member can care for his/her own space.

In real life, IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME. You are free to speak your mind. But you aren't free to go a museum or a certain property that isn't your own and start preaching your views on the megaphone. We seem to be doing good this way.

Of course the guy with the megaphone is going to argue about it, but it is overall better for society if we don't let others do as they wish where they please. Megaphone guy's ability to tell anything he wants isn't being taken away: he retains full free speech rights, he can do so outside the museum if he wishes, but the line is drawn on exercising free speech where it interferes with other members of the community.

In real life, we don't see anybody lobbying for the ability to enter someone's home by force and preach on his living room... food for thought.
-- Victor

VLS

..."Interfering" being an entirely subjective concept. An inventor would like as much interference as possible while he's working because he derives new ideas from interruptions of people suggesting him how to do things. An artist might not like any kind of interference since he's inspired and doesn't want to attend someone selling "his way" of painting to him while he's capturing his expression on the canvas.

Both should be able to draw their own line. This model allows each type of poster to do so.
-- Victor

VLS

I'm going to put the coding hat on in order to make the recycle bin modification. We can make this "middle point" work  :nod:
-- Victor